Located at 143 Maple Avenue in upper Collegetown are our premium apartments. These distinctive accommodations are intended for graduate students, post-doctoral scholars, faculty, other professionals and "empty nesters" -- those who appreciate the highest quality and energy efficient accommodations that are located close to the Cornell University campus.
There are two residential structures: Building #2 was first occupied in 2007. Building #3 was first occupied in the Spring of 2012. Features of the two buildings will be described separately following general comments that pertain to both.
We provide showings by appointment. Please call 607 273-5929 to arrange a convenient time. We give our current residents a day's notice before showing their apartments, so please call at least a day before your preferred time. We generally respond to brief e-mailed questions (Contact Us by Email E: email@example.com) within a day or so. More complicated questions are best handled by telephone.
Rentals are underway for Coal Yard Apartments: Please Phone 607-273-5929, between 9am and 6pm.
General Features of the Coal Yard Apartments
- Coal Yard Apartments are located just off Maple Avenue in a quiet section of the upper Collegetown area of the City of Ithaca. Coal Yard Apartments offer premium accommodations in one- two- and three-bedroom apartments. The apartments are located across Maples Ave. from the former East Ithaca Lehigh Valley railroad depot, where many earlier Cornell students, faculty members and visitors first alighted in Ithaca. At present, Cornell's CIT headquarters are situated across the street. It's a pleasant 5-10 minute level walk to the Cornell University campus. The Engineering Quad, Johnson School, Law School, Hotel School, Athletic facilities, Ag Quad, Biotechnology and Weill Hall are in close proximity. T-CAT buses stop at the driveway providing public transportation to the campus, downtown Ithaca and several nearby shopping malls and plazas.
- The Coal Yard Apartments were built on the site of the former Perry Coal Yard, an East Hill establishment that provided coal for residents of Ithaca for years. Earlier, the Coal Yard was operated by Francies C. Cornell, Jr., a grandson of Ezra Cornell, together with Clement T. Stephens.
- The present "Coal Yard Café" is located along Maple Avenue at the entrance to the Coal Yard. It is housed in the original coal office of the Perry Coal Company that had served Ithaca residents with coal for domestic heating for many years. "The Coal Yard Café" offers coffee, freshly baked goods, breakfast and luncheon fare. Most Café dishes are prepared from scratch, includesluding omelets, waffles, soups, sandwiches, salads and daily specials. See the menu at www.coalyardcafe.com. The Café kitchen now occupies the former office and weighing room of the Perry Coal Yard. The original sign was painstakingly restored for us by V. Romanoff & Associates, restoration specialists. The sign now hangs on the outside east wall of the Café. The truck scales to the east of the Café building had to be removed to provide sufficient space for the 2-lane driveway. However the classic brass balance beams (20-ton capacity!) are evident in the newly constructed dining area of the Café.
- The design of Building #2 forms a connection to the railroad past of the Coal Yard property. Tracks traversed the site, which also includesluded a train trestle used to dump coal from the loaded cars that arrived from Pennsylvania. The trains also served the East Hill Railroad Station and the Cornell heating plant, located across Maple Avenue from the Café. The former East Ithaca railway terminal building was moved about one-half mile east and is now the site of a restaurant on Judd Falls Road. It inspired Ithaca architect George Breuhaus in the design of Building #2. One cannot miss the broad roof overhangs and the substantial colorful brackets that are reminiscent of the former terminal.
Leases generally begin in June, July or August and occasionally at other times. Leases are for 12 months or more. Many residents of the Coal Yard Apartments reside there for more than one year. As of early December, we know that some apartments will be available for 2016- 2017 as the residents’ programs conclude this academic year. However, we await word from some of our residents as to whether that wish to renew. Those possibly interested in renewing should contact us to make arrangements to renew their leases.
Potential New Residents:
We provide showings for those potentially interested in the Coal Yard Apartments, with at least a day’s notice to the current residents. Please call us at 607 273-5929 to discuss scheduling and availability.
- A plain-language lease, satisfactory references and security deposits are required.
- Rents includeslude heat, cooking gas, water and recently installed FIBER-OPTIC, HIGH-SPEED INTERNET service. Tenants are responsible for electricity (to operate lights, appliances hot-water heater and apartment heat pump) if desired - telephone and cable TV services are available through local utility suppliers. Assigned parking spaces are available for rent in the heated basement of Building #3 ($1,400 per year) and outdoor parking spaces ($500 to $700 per year) are available on a first come first served basis.
- The stated rents are for the apartments provided unfurnished, except for the appliances as noted. Apartments could be minimally furnished for an additional $125 per month for studio and one-bedroom apartments. Two-bedroom apartments could be available furnished for an additional $175 per month.
- Furniture to be supplied includesludes for each bedroom: one double bed, desk, desk chair, bookcase and dresser. For the common space, furniture will includeslude a sofa, soft chair, carpet, dining table and chairs, lamps and occasional tables.
There are 10 apartments in the Coal Yard Apartment Building #2: four 2-bedrooms, five 1-bedrooms and one studio. (Those numbered 1 through 5 are on the lower level; those numbered 6 through 10 are on the upper level.) For more details see: Floor Plans and Pictures. Rental rates are listed under the links.
Designed for Comfort
- Spacious rooms with high ceilings, large windows and spacious closets.
- All bedrooms and living rooms are wired for telephone, television and high-speed Internet connections through the appropriate utility suppliers
- Spacious bathrooms are equipped with full-size bathtubs and showers, and with front-loading clothes washer and dryer, all installed over classic-style hexagonal ceramic tiles
- Kitchens are equipped with high efficiency stainless steel kitchen appliances includesluding: gas cooking range with sealed burners; combination exhaust fan and range hood with integrated microwave oven; dishwasher; large refrigerator/freezer; deep double-bowl sink and granite counter tops.
- Permanently installed through-the-wall air conditioner; ultra-quiet ceiling fan in the living room.
- Ceramic tile (lower level) or genuine red oak hardwood (upper level) easy-care floors.
- Kitchen and bathroom cabinetry is high-quality maple with counter tops that are made of custom-crafted natural granite. Wide windowsills in all rooms are also crafted of granite.
- Extra-tall solid-core doors with oak trim and full oak baseboards. The door jambs are accented with black walnut milled from the trunks of several trees that were removed from the Coal Yard site to accommodate the apartments.
- Effective sound-proofing installed between apartments to assure privacy.
- Full-coverage fire-sprinkler system linked to the Ithaca Fire Department.
- Coal Yard Apartments are conveniently located with respect to shopping and restaurants; several can be reached in a 10-15 minute walk; or by car or T-Cat bus service.
Special Note: Coal Yard Apartments (Building #2) received, in December, 2007, a PRIDE of OWNERSHIP AWARD from the City of Ithaca and the Ithaca Rotary Club, which "recognizes property owners who develop distincludestive and attractive projects . . . .". This is the SECOND Pride of Ownership Award received by the Beer Family. The first award was received in 2002 for our restoration of Grand View House at 209 College Avenue.
Building #2 of Coal Yard Apartments: Designed & Constructed for Energy Efficiency
- Basic construction – Insulated concrete forms; essentially 5" of Styrofoam® insulation enclose steel re-enforced concrete in all exterior and party walls. (The first such construction in the City of Ithaca!).
- Ceiling insulation (16 includeshes) of cellulose insulation above upper-level ceilings.
- High efficiency Marvin® fiberglass-framed windows with double-panes of glass separated by low-heat-transfer gas.
- High efficiency appliances; most are ENERGY STAR certified.
- Natural gas-fired radiant floor heating supplies very even heat that provides equivalent comfort levels at lower thermostat settings as conventional heating does with higher settings.
- Ceiling fans provide year-round comfort.
- Lighting fixtures have been selected to harmonize with the overall construction. Careful consideration was given to energy efficiency in selecting the fixtures.
- Landlord supplies heat, water and gas for cooking; tenants are responsible for electricity used within the apartment and electronic services.
Also Note: The Coal Yard Apartments (Building #2) were recognized for energy efficiency by award of the ENERGY STAR RATING of the US Environmental Protection Agency. This followed an extensive energy audit. Beer Properties, which constructed the Coal Yard Apartments, has met the requirements of The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to become a qualified Builder in New York for the ENERGY STAR Labeled Homes Program.
Building #3 - Click Here
For more information, please contact the owner/managers by telephoning (607) 273-5929.
Special Features of the One-bedroom and Studio Apartments
An Island Cabinet separates the kitchen from the living space. It is equipped with drawers and cupboards on the kitchen side, and it is semi-mobile. The cabinet is constructed of birch, which harmonizes with the other maple kitchen cabinetry. The cabinet is genuine butcher-block. In addition, there is an offset shelf at bar height.
Special Feature of the Two-bedroom Apartments
The granite kitchen counter extends over the end counter toward the living room. It provides a breakfast and snack counter at bar stool height.